Tuesday 8 February 2011

Beginning to realise

Hi everyone, I’m beginning to realise that I am living in Africa! It may seem obvious to you, but to me it has seemed unreal for most of the time.

I am getting into some sort of routine so I’m sure that is helping to makes things more solid. I wake with the sun at 6am, wash, dress, breakfast and leave for work.  By 6 .45 I am walking down to work along the main road, along with many other people – one of the really nice things about living here is that so few people have cars which means that you get to meet and greet people on the street – it is a social highlight!

Last week I spent most of my time inputting data and teaching myself how to use Excel Spreadsheets – a boring job but it has to be done. My reward for all those hours (and more to come , not finished yet) was being able to provide my boss with information that he required at two minutes notice. This week I am visiting four schools with another volunteer who has been here a long time and is going home in April, so I need to make the most of his knowledge and experience.


As I walk home, exhausted, I meet friendly faces and smiles all the time. Usually,  the children who live close by come to welcome me home, with arms outstretched for a hug. It is a delightful welcome mixed with sadness for the poverty in which they live. Their ingenuity in providing toys for themselves is boundless! Old bicycle tyres and a stick, paper helicopters, amazingly intricate wire cars with plastic lid wheels and footballs!!!???? Footballs made out of anything they can get their hands on – bits of netting stuffed with banana leaves, plastic bags filled with rubbish and wrapped around with cloth – the strips of cloth unfurling as the ball is kicked through the air and along the ground. Oh the excitement and joy of playing bare footed football !
I am including this photo in the blog this week for those who work in schools in the UK and may have seen a Peace Pole in the school garden. This is an international movement involving children and schools all over the world. I was thrilled to see this one in the garden of the Catholic school I visited today. It is a wonderful school founded by Pope John Paul to educate children from poorer families - the facilities are excellent and the staff team are wonderful. there is a Primary section and a Secondary section. Many of the children live in the 'Family Dormitories' and each has a House Mother. Children from the local area also attend the school, so that there is a good mixture and so that the school can serve the local community as well.

6 comments:

  1. loving it mum...thanks for the great post...u sound like u settled better now..x. i would love to see them playing football...sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brill word picture that you've created about the simplicities of daily life routine.
    Keep it flowin'. How's your French and Rwandan language skills coming on ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy you're being to settle in, I love catching up with your blog. by the way, yesterday i found a little note you'd written to yourself to remind yourself of some thing... I almost cried! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do still miss everyone very much and I really appreciate your comments and messages however short or long! and I think It will always be so, but I am realising that I am here for two years and I want to make the most of it. I start Kinyarwanda lessons on Monday !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful piece of writing, you describe things so well. It's great to hear descriptions of your days. So what do you get up to at weekends?
    PS - miss you tonnes XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tricia. well you appear to be settling in now from your blog you make it feel as though we are there i can imagine the joy you feel when the children come for cuddles on your return from a very long day at work well a bit of good news millie has got fantastic results for her art work she has drawn a shoe which is now in the baines section of the grundy art gallery she is birthday girl today 12 where as the time gone your bro is watching football at the mo shame the children cant have proper balls your heart feels for them well thats my comment for now take care thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete