Monday 20 June 2011

Summer solstice and Lunar Eclipse

lunar eclipse

This year I’m celebrating the solstice in Rwanda and last week I experienced the total eclipse of the moon for 100 minutes – it was like someone had stolen our moon! It made me very thankful that I had a scientific explanation for what was happening.  It did help me to understand how such a phenomenon could be very frightening for people who didn't know what was happening. That sort of thinking makes me all the more thankful for education but also makes me realise how much ‘awe and wonder’ we are missing in our 21st century thinking. Anyway, happy summer solstice to everyone and may you have many more long summer evenings.

Here in Rwanda the nights and days remain the same length and the dry season continues (although there are occasional massive rainstorms) The second school term of the year is passing by and the inevitable exams will begin on June 27/28/29, then again in week beginning 18th July. Examinations take place so frequently for everyone in schools that it leaves precious little teaching time. As a friend used to say ‘You can weigh a goat, and weigh a goat but if you don’t feed it, it won’t make any difference!’



The v sign is for peace!
This weekend I went to visit the home of another volunteer in the north of the country.

I came across this group of guys collecting sticks for firewood and like a group of friends anywhere in the world they were having great fun together. They love having their photo taken, and then to look at themselves on film. No doubt making rude comments about each other's appearance.
www.mangotreeuganda

a room for girls to rest

bottle tops
This week we went to visit some 'Inclusive schools'  and we were very impressed. The teachers and headteachers are really committed to including children with physical and/or mental disabilities into mainstream schools. This is a big challenge in the UK so you can imagine the enormity of the challenge in Rwanda.

There is a group working in Muhanga District called 'Handicap International' and they have designated one school in each sector to be an 'Inclusive School' So in my district there are 12 of these schools. You can see from the photos some of the improvements that have been made.


I don't think I've told you about our Musical Film evenings here at the Hacienda of Dreams. One of the volunteers borrows a projector from work and the film is projected onto the wall of our living room. Lots of volunteers come to watch and join in the singing! This week we had 15 friends; a couple of people cook a meal using our gas cooker - ( a rare opportunity to cook on a proper stove). This week we had delicious Indian. 

Since I came in January we have had four such evenings. The first was Bugsy Malone, followed by Mama Mia (my favourite) then Grease and most recently The Sound of Music. We are hoping to get hold of Calamity Jane, Mary Poppins and the Jungle Book. 

It can be very tiring when you are constantly surrounded by a different culture and language particularly when you are trying to do a job of work as well. So, we work hard and then we relax.

Sometimes I relax with other people but I also appreciate time on my own. I haven't done much art work yet and I feel the lack of it. I have materials but there always seems something else to do. I read, knit and mess around on the computer! I am determined to take a short break away soon.


I know how lucky I am to have this opportunity to live in Africa for two years and I want to make the most of it. As my daughter says - I am making new memories for the future (she's very wise, my daughter!!)

So, I hope you are also making good memories for the future.  With all my love, Triciax


3 comments:

  1. Thanks mum :-) x good blog x
    Love you, your wise daughter x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tricia - Just wanted to say hello - I read your blog when I can - and I've realised that there's no way you'd know that unless I say hello
    : ) Happy Solstice, Love Amanda xxx(Miles : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda

    Lovely to hear from you - how are your gorgeous girls and your equally gorgeous husband?

    Love Txx

    ReplyDelete