Monday 26 September 2011

We have hens!!! Introducing Heckerty Peckerty...

Can you spot 5 hens?

Yes, it’s true we now have hens, five to be exact – we wanted three but we have five! This turns out to be a good number because it means that each of us has been able to name a hen. I chose the name ‘Heckerty Peckerty’ for my hen because she is the lowest in the pecking order and if you look carefully at the photo you will see that the other hens have been pecking her head, just below the red crown. I know ... it’s mean isn’t it? 

But apparently quite normal for hens. (I’m glad I’m not  a hen)

Heckerty Peckerty
Anyway, I chose

‘Heckerty Peckerty my fine hen,
She lays eggs for gentlemen.
Sometimes nine and sometimes ten,
Heckerty Peckerty my fine hen’


Does anyone else in the whole world know this Nursery Rhyme? 


By the way, she hasn’t laid a single egg yet, but Kelly has. She lays one every day. The whole enterprise is not economically viable you understand – at least, unless we decide to eat them (the hens I mean), which we won’t!

Children make their own toys
What other news? 

Oh yes. I have a very exciting new project at the moment. I have been asked to help with the development of a Centre for Early Childhood Education, so I am collecting photos and ideas for resources for young children to learn through playing. If you have any suggestions please let me know.




Make your own construction materials



When we went out for a walk on Sunday afternoon we spotted these small mud bricks which the children had made in imitation of the real thing - see the photo above of the wall of the house.

Kids are great aren't they?





Lastly, please can I make a  request for 2012 Year Planners. If you want to contribute something or if you have annoying businesses who send you loads of Year Planners or calendars and you only need one, please will you consider sending any spares to Rwanda? They don’t need to be fancy – any type will do  - so many headteachers would be helped in this way. 

The postal address is:
Tricia Atherton
PO Box 207
Gitarama
Rwanda

Thank you my lovely friends and family. xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Heckery Peckerty, love it, and no have not heard the rhyme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard the rhyme. Though the rest of the world seems to call it Higgledy Piggldy my fat hen. Heckerty Peckerty is much better.

    ReplyDelete