Sunday 20 November 2011

'Isn't she lovely...isn't she wonderful..'


Isn't she lovely?
This is one of the children in a family of five who live just up the road from me. She is a real character and so lively. She is showing off her new dress that I gave her from your generous gifts. Every day when I pass their house on my way to work she runs out to greet me, holding out her arms to be lifted up and swung into the air for a twizzle. She repeats all the English words that I say to her. I also gave gifts to her two brothers and two sisters. Her brother was particularly keen on the cap, as you can see
Isn't he wonderful?

A pretty princess...

Inside the house

3 of the 5 children outside their house


The family

This weekend Mama invited me to the baptism of the three youngest children. Nothing is as you expect it to be!! I arrived at the church at 10am and sat on one of the many benches. Two brides appeared - I thought 'Oh, there must be a wedding before the baptism, that's ok, so the baptism will be late starting' (you get used to that here)

Then more brides appeared... and more..oh there's another one... and another...

The church began to fill up with bridesmaids, grooms, family members in all their finery and children. I thought I must be in the wrong place.

The service started. I hadn't a clue what was going on!! Then Mama appeared and took me to sit with her family.By now it was 11am and the adults had been baptised. Then they started on the weddings - about 35 couples. Each bride and each groom has to say the legal words. It took half an hour to marry 10 couples! then the baptism of the children - so work that out and DON'T dare complain about the length of church services again!!!

Lots of love to everyone and keep warm, enjoy all those lovely winter pies and casseroles. Mmmmm Yummy. xxxxx




4 comments:

  1. PS Don't know why the backgroundis all white today - another mystery. Life is so interesting isn't it?! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my song...and that little girl is welcom to it cos she is soooo cute!! nice to see them all at last..x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, the lad is like:
    'i iz luking well sic in ma hat, mon!'
    that's Rochdalian for:
    'what a jolly nice cap I have on my head'

    can't wait to meet all these friendly faces soon! wish we could have seen the baptism too, your words made me laugh loudly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words made me laugh loudly too Cat!!!
    Can't wait to see you - not long now oooo so excited. xxx (one for the boy too x)

    ReplyDelete