Monday 18 January 2016

Back to reality here in Rwanda

My posts so far have been slightly whimsical but my meeting with Gabriel, our teacher, has brought me back down to earth with a bump.

I am so sad to hear that another child has died because of lack of clean water in the area. The village has been in quarantine for several weeks because there were so many people suffering with sickness and diarrhoea. The government put a health team there for some time. I'm not clear on the details, but once again it is clear that the issues are still very basic, even to the need for clean water. I will try to find out more details when I go to the village tomorrow. The village is out of quarantine but I hope to meet a health official.

The good news is that apparently the road from Kibuye to Kamembe is now tarmaced so it will make the journey much easier and quicker. We will still get a boat but that journey also will be shorter. I'm off down to the pharmacy to see if I can buy some water purifying tablets, and rehydration salts.

If anyone has any guidance on easy ways of providing clean water in communities like this please share, either by comments or e mail me on tricia.atherton@gmail.com

Thankyou, dear friends

1 comment: