Tuesday 9 February 2016

Second visit to the village. Part 3

After spending the day in the hustle and bustle of the market buying food, a grass mat and two new mattresses for the beds and looking at costs for the sand filter water pots we wandered back along the tarmac road to the place where Davide's boat was waiting for us. 

We had quite a surprise because the boat was already full of people and their new possessions. We couldn't imagine how we would all fit on the boat and indeed there was a kerfuffle when the security man said that some people must get off the boat to allow the people who had hired the boat to get on. What a 'carry on' there was, with people refusing to leave and me refusing to get on until they did. Without me they couldn't leave because I was paying for the hire of the boat. Eventually I said I would take all those people who were going to Gasundwe and everyone else must get off. Some folk disembarked and the others made space for us. We set off, but 'No' we had left someone behind and had to turn round. That mama got on and we set off again. We hadn't gone far when the engine cut out and we drifted for a while. This gave me the opportunity to survey the people and things that had been lumbered aboard. There were six people sitting quietly at the back of the boat whom I didn't recognise at all but I assumed they were from Gasundwe. On the floor of the boat there were several heavy metal windows and also long pieces of heavy timber. This man was building a house.

We started and stopped several times and at one point the engine was changed, and the spare was used. Oil was spurting out and mixing with petrol so Davide had his finger in that hole to stop that happening. It took a long time to get back to the lakeshore at Gasundwe. Many people and things got off the boat. However, the six quiet people at the back, their windows and timber remained.

It was obvious they did not live in Gasundwe and had told me a lie. I was unhappy about that because I very rarely experience dishonesty amongst Rwandans in Gasundwe. I indicated to them that I was not paying for the boat and that they owed Davide 5000francs. One man replied that they were very poor. My response was that if they could afford to buy metal windows and good timber they could afford to pay Davide for transport of those items.

We started the hike up the hill and I asked my friend if I had done the right thing. He said 'Yes, because they were trying to trick you.' I stopped fretting about it and enjoyed the homecoming. That night we had a wonderful feast.


It was great having Margo and Chris in the village because they are so friendly and sociable. Everyone wanted to be part of the action and to learn as much as they could from the abazungu, but I'm sure that Margo nd Chris learned so much from the locals about life in rural Rwanda, as well as history lessons and discussions about the possible future of the village. They stayed until Friday and then got the long, relaxing boat journey back to Kibuye with Jean Baptiste. 

I, meanwhile, had to take a moto journey of three hours to keep an appointment in Kibogora. I managed to get to Home St Jean before the boat and was drinking a cold beer when they arrived. 

That's the way to do it!
Lots of love
Tricia x

2 comments:

  1. Honesty please! this could be our main characteristic in all of our activities my friends! I was unhappy too, because of this dishonesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for helping me to understand the local situation. I have never met this attitude from Rwandans before. It made me sad, but you were there to help me understand. Thankyou.

      Delete