Tuesday 25 January 2011

Going to a new home

Today (Tuesday) is the last day of our ‘In Country Training’ and tomorrow we go to our placements and I see my home for the next two years!

I am lucky because my house has all mod-cons including running water, electricity and gas...we even have a warm shower! There is a photo of the outside of the house on my blog page and I will post photos of the inside when I take some.

Some of my new friends will be taking a whole load of items to their new homes – water filter machine, kerosene stove, kerosene lamp, great big jerry cans for carrying water, pots, pans– you name it – yes even the kitchen sink (plastic bowls). For some of them they will be the only English speaking person for miles round – what a challenge! We are all really keen now to get out and unpack, make our beds up and create a new home space. Not everyone is here for two years, some are here for 3 months, some for 6, some for 12. Some have come with their partners, some have come without their partners. Some are educationalists, others are business managers, advocates, social policy workers for the Disability programme – all sorts in fact!

I’ll probably be out of touch for a couple of days now until I get to find out where I can go on line. Hope everyone is well and that it is not too cold and rainy!! xx

2 comments:

  1. You'll love your new place i'm sure of it...hope u put that clock up somewhere nice, but warn people cos u know how it makes me jump every hour when it cheeps away!
    Its been ok here...quite mild this week but damp...Jojo has a new all-in-one rain coat all ready for when the rains comes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Njoy your unpacking and settling in. Will u have a mosquito net over your bed?

    ReplyDelete