Friday 28 January 2011

The Hacienda of Dreams.... is what our house is called.


I have arrived at my new home and it is beautiful!! I did not expect this! After being in Kigali for 10 days I was getting worried that Gitarama would be just a smaller version of the big city , so I was amazed when we drove off the main road and came into a little semi- rural location with goats and turkeys wandering about. Our house has 4 bedrooms, a dining room, sitting room, kitchen, and a bathroom each! We also have a lovely vegetable garden. My housemate is a good cook and she made me a lovely meal on my first evening.



Today I went into the office as requested and introduced myself. The boss was friendly but busy and asked me to come back on Monday morning at 7am (we work 7am -5pm!) So I had a lovely walk home again. Later, another volunteer who has been here since September came to call for me and we went to open a bank account so that my small allowance can be paid in . We only had to wait for 2 hours so that was great! Gitarama is quite a hub for volunteers from all over the place and they often meet up for social occasions.

The local people are very friendly and helpful, stopping to say hello with a smile and a greeting. Today the sun was quite hot with little cloud cover so when I returned I was exhausted with the heat and the walking. I lay down on my bed and slept for an hour – I won’t be able to do that when I start work. Tomorrow I am going to visit a school with a colleague and it will involve my first excursion by motorbike into the rural areas, so I’m really looking forward to it. Click here to see a map of Rwanda in detail.

I hope you are all well, thank you to those who make comments either on here or on Facebook or by e-mail – it doesn’t matter how brief they are they are very welcome.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia, what a great place you have, you are looking good - check out Stephen&Mary@Rwanda blog W x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you need Paul to make your kitchen like home, trouble is he needs Ikea just around the corner!!! seriously though your new home looks fab, and you seem to of settled in really well. Take care on that motorbike tmr, drive safely and watch out for the livestock!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tricia ,your new home looks amazing and the garden and the goats and turkeys sounds great so pleased for you we are following your blog with interest your bro asks any news millie is following it as well we feel happy for you now not as worried you sound good take care on them unmade roads lul xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see some pictures of you out and about...your new home looks fab...x I moved all the tiles today into the shed...and took some lovely pics in the sun...will post em on facebook for you to see..x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah mum you r on stephen and mary's blog picture! http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KfkWeTY4fnY/TTyMTG13B0I/AAAAAAAAGhw/0VrfmLPpDkg/s320/Blog+1+%25282%2529.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Trish it looks lovely. I didn't know you'd be sharing. Hope that goes well. There's a lot more British people around than I imagined which is good should the culture shock hit. You've landed in a lovely place tho. Be careful on them roads. I've been communicating on this because I thought I was meant to but maybe I should be doing that elsehwere. Eleanor has got into Banbury art college. So has a secure place at least. Lots of love, Tx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post which The local people are very friendly and helpful, stopping to say hello with a smile and a greeting. Today the sun was quite hot with little cloud cover so when It returned It was exhausted with the heat and the walking.Thanks a lot for posting this article.

    ReplyDelete