Sunday 16 January 2011


Hi everyone! I have arrived safely in Rwanda and the journey was straight forward – I even slept well on the plane , so thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

We were greeted at the airport by workers from the VSO headquarters in Rwanda. I’ve always wanted to be met by someone holding up a sign and giving me flowers!! (Remember that for when I return home ,please, family)

There is quite a large group of us, most from the UK, but also from Philippines, Australia, Canada and Netherlands. We will all be in Kigali for 10 days and then we will disperse around the country to go to our own placements. These next 10 days will give us time to acclimatise, but there is also quite a heavy schedule of training and we have already been given an enormous folder of paper and workbooks – that did not go down well believe me! But I suppose I am here to work.

Today, our first day in Rwanda, we caught the bus into town and visited the bank and the supermarket and the shop where you buy dongles! Best of all we went to a ‘luxury coffee shop’ - it is the capital city after all and it has it’s trendy parts. I had iced cafe latte to cool me down, I’m so hot and sweaty, but hopefully my body will adapt fairly quickly – so no madcap dancing for a while!

Although I can get internet access it is very slow and unreliable so I will just need to keep on trying. Skype would be best but the connection keeps dropping, so it will take me some time before I can have regular contact.

Don't forget to comment xx

1 comment:

  1. Well we collided a bit with our postings...didn't realise you able to do it now! But you can keep to the more informative parts of your trip like work and stuff and i can do the weather/food updates!! hahaha...glad you settling in well...you look so 'at home' already! great chattin on skype...i'll keep trying anyway..x..

    ReplyDelete