Saturday 9 July 2011

Domestic Goddess in Rwanda


OK, so usually we are ‘cooking on gas’ but what happens when the gas bottle runs out and how do other volunteers cook all the time?

When volunteers arrive in their placement home we are issued with a cooking appliance. If we’re lucky enough to have electricity we get a two element electrical hob. If there is no electricity we get a kerosene stove





But if you live in the Hacienda of Dreams we have a full size gas stove – I rush to inform you that this was not provided by VSO but purchased by the occupiers of the house. It is a wonderful invention because we have an oven, in which cakes (especially chocolate brownies) can be baked, and frequently are! 

But the inevitable happened this week and we ran out of gas

 – right in the middle of baking a collection of chocolate cookies for a friend’s birthday – disaster – although the consolation is that even uncooked cake mix tastes good!

So you can see me cooking on the kerosene stove. It feels like I’m back camping in the Lake District but the kerosene is very smelly and smokey, it does the job however and soon we are eating a lovely meal. We also have the double element stove which is very slow but gets there in the end. I have to say my pancakes are not up to the usual high standard when I cook them on the electric hob. Lots of honey and fruit salad are required.


Oh, just a side issue – one of my targets whilst I am here was to teach a certain Australian to toss a pancake instead of using a spatula – success!!!! I have achieved something in Rwanda!

In August I will be having visitors from the UK and although we have one spare bed, we have an empty room which needs another bed. So last week I ordered a new bedframe from the carpenters and when it was ready I went to collect it. There is an amazing delivery service here. The bed is delivered immediately, even if it has already gone dark. 



The bedframe was loaded onto a wooden barrow and the guy pushed it all the way to my house. You will not understand the significance of this unless you know the topography of Gitarama and how far it is from Gahogo (Plateau) to my house at  Nyamabuye Umurenge. Also it was dark and the road was busy with traffic – I was petrified that he was going to get injured, so I walked along behind him with the light from my mobile phone as a warning to road users that there was a hazard. Passers-by thought I was mad, but that’s ok it made me feel better. Anyway the bedframe got home safe and sound and so did the delivery man, so all I need now is a mattress – how will that be delivered? I’ll keep you informed.

Another week begins on Monday and I will return to Kiyumba to visit the remaining four schools with the objective of 'assessing the impact of the training'. It will also be the last overnight stay at that particular priests house for some time. I will miss them.

Lots of love for now, Tricia

PS Please don't forget to comment or send a message on Facebook so that I know I'm not talking to myself. OK, yes, I know I do anyway, but go on indulge an old lady! x

4 comments:

  1. Great word picture again... Do I need to bring s 12kg gas canister in my luggage (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Phil, and could you strap a mattress on your back as ive got a spare one at home just for that spare bed lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see pictures of where you live, can't wait to try out the bed.

    ReplyDelete